Mold problems aren't unique to stick-built homes. Mobile homes are susceptible to mold too. Mold growth can occur on the roof, inside the walls, on the ceilings, and in the crawl space underneath your mobile home. Since mold can damage the structure of your home and adversely affect your health, if you suspect that mold is present in your mobile home, it's important to find it and treat it.
Getting Rid of Mold
Removing mold from your home isn't always easy. Sometimes the biggest problem is in finding it before you can take steps to eliminate it.
Identify the source.
Locate and repair the source of moisture causing the mold. Moisture that accumulates under mobile homes – particularly if the home is located on land that isn't leveled – can lead to mold growth. Recent water damage from flooding or broken plumbing causes dampness that can permeate throughout your home, giving mold lots of places to multiply. You also can have moisture problems if the skirting around your mobile home fails to do an adequate job of ventilating the moist air that comes up from the ground.
Choose the right cleaner.
Use a non-corrosive disinfectant from your local hardware store to clean up mold that you find. Although chlorine bleach kills microorganisms like mold, the liquid is corrosive, produces noxious fumes, and doesn't penetrate semi-porous or nonporous materials.
If mold growth covers a large area, you may need to hire a mold remediation specialist to do the job. Click here for a mold removal company or do an online search.
Preventing Mold Growth
Preventing mold invasion not only protects your home, but also protects your health and that of your family. Steps for identifying mold growth and preventing future mold problems in your mobile home include:
Performing regular inspections. Do a thorough water leak inspection of your home. Inspect the roof, exterior walls, and the inside and outside areas around windows for holes or cracks that can let water get into your home. Look for depressions in surfaces where water can accumulate. Cracking and discolored walls, a musty odor, and visible mold growth – especially near surfaces damaged by water – are signs that you have mold in your home.
If you suspect mold growth inside your ceilings, walls, and floor cavities, a certified mold inspector has special moisture detector tools to check areas hidden from view.
Repairing water leaks. Clean up any water leaks or damage from flood waters as soon as possible, but within 24 to 48 hours, to prevent mold growth. Mold thrives in warm, moist environments.
Some of the manufacturers of older mobile homes used cheap plastic piping or galvanized metal, both of which are light and can cause leaks. Galvanized pipe rusts over time and plastic piping can corrode.
Along with repairing any leaks you find, dry wet materials and remove and dispose of porous materials, such as insulation, ceiling tiles, and plasterboard, that are contaminated by mold.
Lowering the humidity. Monitor the level of humidity in your home with a hygrometer. If the humidity is too high, use a dehumidifier or run the air conditioning to remove excess humidity from the air. A relative humidity below 50 percent is recommended, as higher levels of humidity facilitate mold growth.
You also can reduce the humidity in your home by ventilating the bathroom and kitchen and lowering the temperature inside, as cold air holds less moisture than warm air. Keep in mind that the air ducts that run in the crawl space underneath your mobile home can let in air and moisture if the seals aren't airtight.